HTML/JAVA

Monday 24 June 2013

There's Beauty in Rust

Spoiler alert...the current, quarterly GOE challenge is a picture of a rusty grate. Not just any grate, it has to be something with this particular grate. It's in a golf course in Mexico & it's surrounded by grass. 



 Isn't it beautiful....I thought so but I just didn't know how to do it and make my piece interesting. I've actually been pondering it for 2 months & still nothing was coming. So I did some more intense study on the internet & decided that I was going to schedule Saturday for my encaustic bench. Now here's the spoiler part...those who don't want to see it until the reveal...don't look...all of those who would like to see it...check it out on the read more.



 This is a picture of the beginning. My bench is clean & I'm ready to start. I've even got the encaustic wax in the ceramic pots with the oil paint....ready to start heating it.


I've painted my board completely black & I've started to paint dryer sheets with acrylic paint & alcohol inks. I would then dob off the excess with paper towel.


 This picture shows me dobbing off with the paper towel & you can see a sneak peak at the painted dryer sheet underneath. I actually had 2 of them side by side.


 This is the picture of my bench after I've been working. As you can see there is a lot that come to hand when working in wax.

 Here's the finished piece. Chris liked it just the way it was without any grass added. I'm having great difficulty taking pictures of encaustic pieces because of the shine the wax gives off. This is the very best picture that I came up with after about 20 shots. You really can't get a feel for the layered texture in the picture but it turned out really cool...if I don't say so myself.
Challenge DONE. Whoop!!!

6 comments:

  1. Way to go Leah. It looks great. Actually the 2nd last shot, on the work bench really shows the depth. I wish I was done. Not being able to hand stitch has me at a stand still, but I'm just not excited about the piece I've started. Why was this such a touch challenge???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand completely how a hand stitcher is having trouble without the use of her hand. lol. As you can see...there are no stitches on my piece. I was mind blocked as well but then I just decided to break it down & get out the encaustic bench...do something different. I have complete faith in you & I'm sure I'll love what you've created. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is super pretty, I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, I gave it to Dad for Father's Day because he said it was one of his favorites. The deal is that he can't have it until it's finished going through this years shows.

      Delete
  3. For not knowing what to do, you came up with a brilliant piece. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really can't wait to show it in person. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete