HTML/JAVA

Friday 21 October 2011

Money Tree




I have been working on this piece for about a week. It started off by my seeing a YouTube video called "Dirty Pages". I haven't painted very much so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it and YouTube tutorials seem to be where it's at. I've been using my oil paints for the background and it does take quite a bit of time to dry...hence the reason for it taking so long to finish. I've also learned that working on paper is very different than working on wood.
Once the background was done I had no idea what I could do with it and I thought that something copper would really stand out...but what copper? I was pulling threads, beads, and then I pulled out copper mesh that my father had given me for my stash. That lead me to my husband's studio where I knew he had just finished some electrical work and had stripped the covering off the wire. Voila...copper wire. I pounded the wire flat...came back to my studio and was still thinking...what next. I laid them on the piece, pulled fabric and then the thought of pounding pennies came to mind. Back to my husband's studio and pounded the pennies. Then I layered with encaustic. I actually put too much wax down and had to do a lot of scraping and polishing.
I'm having trouble taking pictures of encaustic because of the sheen. Oh well, I guess I have to learn some photography as well. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Haha, the poor pennies! Love it. I love how bright and pretty it is, I can't wait to see it in person! In terms of a picture though, you could try building the light box I told dad about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or you can try a trick I learned, I leave the flash on but I cover it with a piece of white paper. Good photography is just a lot of playing around.

    I feel for the pennies, but I like how you've combined everything

    ReplyDelete