HTML/JAVA

Monday 21 January 2013

Art Cloth Gift Boxes








 

 





 
These gift boxes were made using a pattern that was in a Quilting Arts issue. I can't remember which one as it was at least a year ago. I've made them in the past but this time I decided that I would make them with my art cloth technique...that's developed throughout my posts. It's was also a technique from QA. It's nothing like the original article but I've come to really love it and consider my rendition as my own. The technique that is, not the pattern.
I start off with canvas that I paint with gesso on both sides. This stops the canvas from fraying on the edges. I then lay cheese cloth over the canvas & adhere with either watered down PVA or a gel medium. Both work well. Then I add some added texture with molding paste and once dry,  I paint with a metalic and use my oil pastels for enhancing the raised portions. Then the whole thing is covered with a gloss gel medium. The resulting cloth is actually very leather like. It's very pliable, yet sturdy. I've really come to love it. I actually didn't have to stitch anything on these little boxes.
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Leah, they're amazing! I love that technique. That's pretty much how I made my newspaper challenge piece. Love the rough, study texture you end up with!

    Wouldn't these be great as gift boxes for that special piece of jewellery...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I did use them for jewellery gifts. This year was a hand made year. This technique is really growing on me.

      Delete
  2. Very cool! I like the "no sewing" part. I've made similar sewn boxes, and they are very fiddly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, I'll have to make another one so I can show the group.

      Delete
  3. Really love these. I've always loved special packaging for jewellery! You should let me sell them in my Etsy as gift boxes haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the tutorial. I can't wait to make this beautiful gift box.

    gift boxes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Good Luck & have fun. My experience with making art cloth is that everyone will come up with something completely original depending on their own artist's hand.

      Delete